Wednesday, June 30, 2010

VOCABULARY: SQUEE & OTHER QTE WORDS

Since today's post was more of a request for help than an actual post, I've decided to post a bonus post!

I've noticed that I have sporadically been using some vocabulary words that are commonly used by the cute community. The newly emerging Crazy Cat Lady may not have heard these terms. For example, "Squee." It is a shortening of the term "To Squeal with Glee." I think it expresses the sentiment to a T.

While I don't always squee audibly, I find that it describes my feelings perfectly when I see something of utmost cuteness! This is not just reserved for cats. I will proudly admit to being a huge animal lover!! (And I don't mean "I love animals, they're tasty!" While they are tasty, this is not something I like to think about.) Maybe I love animals because of their innocence. Maybe it's because of the adorableness. Regardless, if I am in a bad mood, all I have to do is go to a website with seriously cute animals. (I highly recommend this as a way to lower high blood pressure, cure melancholy and lift the heavy spirit!)

The search for happy squees takes me to a few websites. The first one I learned about was Cute Overload. Yes, that is exactly what it is. Pictures of cute animals. Squee after squee. The only fault with this website that I can find is that it has made me want to own a number of animals as pets, 'cause they are so darn cute!!! Most specifically a hedgehog. Before this web site, I had always wanted a porcupine as a pet, but these darn hedgies!!!! Their little boopable noses!! The little ball of hedgehog that they curl up into!! WANT!!

Cute Overload usually has links to where their pictures come from. So if their pics aren't enough, you can always get more!! They also contribute to some of my cute vocabulary - squee and boopable (when you poke an adorable nose and make a "boop" sound.) Nom is also another one. As in - when there are some amazingly cute tails or ears you just want to snack (while making the nom nom nom sound) on them.

I Can Has Cheezburger, the site I discussed when explaining lolspeak, has a number of sister sites. One of these, aptly named, is The Daily Squee. Their tag line, "So cute, your brain might explode." is quite true. In fact, today they have a picture of another animal I need as a pet:

cute baby animals - Spitting Image
see more

Yes! An anteater!!! Most recently they had a ton of pics of raccoons. Yep, want one of those as well! As an FYI, Cheezburger has another site called Acting Like Animals.

Now these sites only take so much time to look at. (Um, especially if you check them more than once a day.) What happens if you need more qte (means cute) fix???

Say it with me now: The Pandacam!!!!

I first learned of this amazing technology when the Smithsonian National Zoo in DC had their first baby panda, Tai Shan. I watched the little bugger grow from a teeny pink blop no larger than a stick of butter, to a full grown male panda.



The National Zoo has a ton of animal cams! You can see tigers and lions and sloth bears - Oh MY!! And octopuses and kiwi and fish and ferrets and and and. What's great about this site is that the keepers post education updates about the animals. I have learned a ton of stuff about the animals I look at. It's pretty darn awesome. The Atlanta Zoo and the San Diego Zoo also have panda cams as well as other animal pics, news and cams.

The moral of this post? Qte away, learn vocabulary, increase your knowledge and smile a lot!

Oh, did I mention I also want a pet skunk?

Cute Baby Animal - Stinky Squee
see more

No comments:

Post a Comment