Tuesday, June 29, 2010

PHENOMENON: CATS IN SINKS!

Yesterday evening I walked into my bathroom, turned on the light, and was greeted by a "Eeeerrrrp!" (translation: "Hey! Turn da light awf! I'm sleepin' heres!!!*") - GhenGus Khat.
* This translation is in lolspeak. If you are not familiar with it, please see Rule #6.



Gus is a petite, male tuxedo cat. His face is little. His paws are little. 'Cept he weighs around 13 lbs. (I don't think he will be offended if I post his weight for all the world to read.) He fills up the entire bathroom sink. It's the cutest thing ever!!! When he was a kitten he used to sit in the sink all the time. He has slowly grown to fit the sink. (If he gets any fatter, I will have to get a new sink.) Then one day he stopped doing it. I was sad, 'cause it's so adorable! And I didn't have any pics of him doing it. And as of yesterday, he seems to have started sink-sitting again. I tried to slowly get my iphone to take a pic of him, but he assumed that since I was walking in the direction of the kitchen, that I MUST be going to the kitchen. I have yet to catch the elusive Gus sink sitting. But it's true!! Really! And have I mentioned that it's super cute???


Most cats do not have an affinity for water. In fact, if you get a drop of it on Al - he bolts and holds a grudge for a few minutes. So one would ASS-UME that sinks (which have water) and cats would not mix.

Except for maybe this cat:



Now I know my cats are strange ("broken" according to a friend of mine.) Gus doesn't mind sitting in the sink after I have just used it. If you turn the water on while he is sittin' in the sink he doesn't react at first. And then he will slowly get up and leave. He sometimes drinks his water by sticking his paw in the water bowl and then licking his paw. (Yes, it's amazingly cute too!) So I ass-umed that he was a uniquely strange, broken cat. Then a few years ago, when I mentioned Gus' antics to someone, I was told about this website. Yes, there is an entire website devoted to pictures of Cats in Sinks!!! Apparently, cats love sinks!!! Who knew??!!!



What causes this phenomenon? One hypothesis is that the cat is a little toasty and it's cooler in the sink. Another is that a sink is a nice cozy place, thus the cat feels safe and snuggly when sleeping there. Perhaps it is due to a genetic defect, the "Cat Hates Water" gene is somehow mutated. Scientists and Crazy Cat Ladies are stumped. There is no known explanation for this strange occurrence.

As soon as I catch the elusive Gus in the sink, the pictures will be posted!
Oh yes, there will be pictures!!


Yes, Al - I know. Don't worry. I'll post about you too. And I'll include cute pics of you too. Soon. I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I recently cat sat for a friend and her kitty, Beamer, loves the sink too! He loves drinking out of the facet so much he woke me at 4am to turn it on for him so he could get a drink of water...LOL!

    ReplyDelete